The Diary Of Colleen


Thursday, April 2, 2009
Well I went a little bit past my goal of posting again within 2 weeks. I thought about it, but just haven't really had anything exciting to write about!
Today is a good day to write though because I injured myself in a fitness class the other night at the gym, and I literally can't get up from my desk without help. I'm running out of things to do that don't require me getting up!
I was thinking that I had really slowed down on my weight loss but then I noticed that my last blog post was 17 lbs. and I am now at 24 lbs.!!! Only 6 more to my goal!! I finally had to break down and ask Kris to give me part of my reward early though because I had no pants that fit. I thought that wearing pants that were too big would feel good, but it was actually really irritating because I was literally scared they were going to fall off every time I stood up! So he let me go and spend $100 on some new pants, which I did, and I have actually dropped 2 sizes!! Now THAT was a great feeling.
Luckily my top size hasn't changed, and honestly I don't think it really will. I was carrying all that extra weight around my waist, and that's pretty much where it has all come off!
I've been thinking a lot lately about how much this process has changed me these past few months. I had been going to the gym after work for a while before Kris & I made this deal, but I know I just wasn't taking it seriously before. I would look for any excuse to cut my workout short, or to get out of going altogether. I didn't challenge myself, I used the easiest setting on the machine, and watched the clock the whole time. Now, I bring a book to read, so it actually blocks the clock on the machine, and I gradually up the resistance on the machine as I go, until I get to a point where I don't think I can physically go any higher. It's a habit now for me to go to the gym right after work, and if for some reason I can't go, I feel off, like something is missing from my day.
I also have been reading a book about nutrition and I think I have finally got this eating thing down to a science. I have been thinking a lot about how when I go on a diet, I tend to stick to one particular food, and after a while I get tired of being so limited as to what I can eat. Low Carb has always worked best for me but it was hard and I usually got burnt out because I really like bread, and I really like sweets. Weight Watchers didn't work worth a crap, but I ate a lot of bread with that because I was mostly watching calorie intake. So this time I thought I would not cut anything completely out, but instead just limit it. I'm watching everything now... my carbs, my calories, my fat. But I don't deny myself anything. If I want some ice cream, I have it. I don't have very much though, and then I limit my sugar and calories for the rest of the day. I'm making sure that at least 90% of my diet is vegetables and/or lean protein. But that still leaves me 10% to work with, so I have a little room to cheat! I've finally found the balance. And look what it's doing for me!
The drinking has been a big thing for me too. I really had been coming home and having a few beers every single night for quite a while. I thought it would be really hard to give that up, but honestly, it gives me something to look forward to now. I only drink Friday and Saturday night now, and that first beer come Friday night tastes soooooo good. The other benefit is that it doesn't take me near as many drinks to feel the effects!
Speaking of drinking (and moving away from the topic I could go on about all day), Kris & I decided to venture up to Chicago this year for the St. Patty's Day parade, and dying of the river. I had been before, once, but Kris hadn't. And I don't think he was as excited as I was about it, but I know he ended up having a good time. This was also the first time he had been up to stay with my best friend Tara & her husband (pretty sad considering we've been together almost 4 years). Visiting Tara & Mike used to be one of my favorite things to do, and I don't know why I stopped doing it after I met Kris, but he had so much fun with them, and now I think he really hopes it will be something we do way more often! Which obviously makes me very happy!!
It's hard to believe St. Patrick's Day has already come & gone! I'm getting really excited for it to warm up outside. I'm already thinking up projects for the yard again... It's gonna be a little bit harder this year, being on a budget... I definitely had a lot more $$ to put into my flowers last year, but just as I have with everything else, I'll make it work!
I'm also starting to think a lot more about getting my cake decorating business off the ground. My mom found us a wedding cake gig in September, which I was nervous about at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think it will light a fire under my you-know-what! I have been procrastinating big time on getting it started, but I think actually having a job booked will make it easier. I have to practice. I have to start working on it... because this is somebody's wedding!! I'd like to get maybe one or two more jobs booked this year, even if they are something more simple like a birthday or anniversary cake... Every little bit helps!
Well I think that's enough of the mumbo-jumbo for now...
I'll shoot for 2 weeks again!!!

Posted by Colleen at 1:35 PM |

0 Comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones